Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kiwi Knives - Made in Thailand - Sold to an Australian Girl

I love going to Asian groceries, probably because it's going into a world that I just don't know. The smell, the products, the foods, the language. I could spend hours in there inspecting the details of all the beautiful labels on products that are god knows what used in dishes that I would never know how to make.

Recently I decided I would invest in some knives - the good kind - and I have started my journey in understanding what is a good knife. Japanese or Western Steel, Hard blade or Soft, Thin or thick, Rubber handle or metal handle, rivets or none, how stainless and how alloy do you want to take it, single or block - so many things to think about.... and so many opinions and passionate ones at that which has been amazingly wonderful to find out. Food brings out the creative culturalist in everyone.

But my friend Danno told me to hold the phone, true, she owns a few Japanese branded knives that needed a mortgage to buy, but she said at the end of the day, the asians don't f*** around when it comes to cooking and working fast in the kitchen and the furthest I needed to look was my local asian grocer to find a kiwi brand knife. I bought 3. The most expensive one cost me $3.50. The way it cuts has changed my life. Get one. seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment